Sunday, March 22, 2009

Little Wonder (Horse)

Dear Pharlap,
When I first heard of you I was a little girl learning about you in primary school. I come from a family who is involved in horse racing and breeding, so the topic of your life and your successes often come up. I feel like I can relate to you. Our lives are not too different you know. This has become more obvious now that I have moved to Australia. Like you, I was born and bred in  rural(ish) New Zealand, only to be wooed by the bright lights of Australia. Someone paid for you to cross the ocean but I have to pay all of my own fees up front. I guess you were considered a valuable asset. You were trained here in Victoria, which is exactly what I am doing now. Your heart is in Canberra, your skeleton in Wellington and your hide/skin is in Melbourne. I know exactly how that feels. My skeleton/former self is in Wellington, my exterior and brain is in Victoria and my heart is...where home is. Which for me is wherever my family are. 
My life's journey is running parallel to yours. One day I hope to be as respected and admired in my field of expertise as you were. Pharlap, you are an inspiration. 
I only hope I don't get poisoned.
Love you.

pharlapskeleton
Here I am with Pharlap in Te Papa, making the most of our time together.

pharlapskin
Here is Pharlap in the Melbourne Museum, looking a little bit more lifelike. I was unable to get a picture with my buddy this time because I was too shy to ask a stranger to take one.

I am yet to visit Canberra. 

No comments: