Friday, September 3, 2010

It's My Jam: Miami Horror

I've been following Melbourne's Miami Horror for about a year now, after first hearing about them when they supported Friendly Fires on their Australian tour last year.

Their debut album Illumination was released on August 20 and I have had the songs I Look To You, Sometimes and Summersun on repeat since I got it.

Miami Horror's sound is very similar to Cut Copy's, which perhaps explains why I have been enjoying them so much. To me it seems that if you mashed I Look to You and Summersun together, you'd get Hearts on Fire. It's almost like they've listened to Hearts on Fire and said, "Right, this is an awesome pop song, what do we need to do to make our own version?"

Soooo... I can't really give them points for originality, but I will give them points for making me want to dance like crazy. You will too if you're into that kind of disco throwback electro pop. (Did I just put a whole bunch of genres together and hope it made sense to everyone else? Maybe.)

I Look to You features kiwi singer Kimbra, who has been based in Melbourne for a while now.

I Look To You from Miami Horror on Vimeo.

No comments: