Thursday, February 18, 2010

IRM

3996033830_61ab70eeea_o

One of the albums I have been really enjoying lately is Charlotte Gainsbourg's IRM. I've been listening to the album's title track the most and recently I learnt something that has completely changed the way I listen to it.

I'd always been intrigued by the mechanic whirring noises and the heavy percussion that dominate the song. As it turns out IRM is imagerie par resonance magnetique, French for MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) and the whirring and drums in the song are an imitation of the noises inside an MRI machine. Spooky, no? Charlotte underwent several MRIs after suffering a brain hemorrhage a couple of years back.

The connection become a little more obvious when you actually start listening to the lyrics (which I didn't... ) where she sings of X-Ray eyes and scanning a pathogen.

She explains it better herself:

No comments: