Monday, August 24, 2009

Things I Love About Melbourne Part 4: State Library of Victoria

burtons-books-2-500x374

800-090612house001

Ever since I was a little girl I have wanted to own a room filled with books, wall-to-wall and with one of those ladders like Belle has in Beauty and the Beast. The curtains would be red velvet and I would read my favourite book aloud to the woodland creatures by my side as we sat next to the open fireplace. I have since realised that this dream has about as much chance of coming true as me owning a Chanel 2.55. A girl can - and will, dream. 

IMG_5841

The first time I stepped into the La Trobe Reading Room in the State Library of Victoria I couldn't help but gape at the wondrous walls of books. I think one of the guys working there laughed at me. I didn't care, the place is like my dream come true! Grand architecture, wooden desks, revolving chairs, bankers lamps, a circular room, a domed ceiling and books! books! books! Even thinking about it now is making me sigh.

If I lived in the city, I would study there all of the time. Procrastination wouldn't exist. I would love to spend hours here. It even has free wi fi! 

They have a few exhibitions too, it's cool to see all the huge portraits and marble busts of the people who helped shaped Victoria in the early years. Ned Kelly's armour is there too. It's pretty eerie walking around, hearing your echoing foot falls on the wooden floor and looking into the past through these portraits, letters and artifacts. 

My new favourite place in Melbourne? Maybe so. It's probably the closest I'll ever get to Hogwarts.

No comments: