Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Half Asleep

IMG_5470
IMG_5472
IMG_5486

I have realised that School of Seven Bells' album is perfect the perfect soundtrack for the train journey between Geelong and Melbourne. It's an hour long trip, which is enough time to listen to an album and get lost in my thoughts. Turning my on my noise-cancelling headphones, listening to School of Seven Bells and watching the Australian plains move by me creates a feeling of isolation which is weirdly satisfying. I have come here completely on my own. Moving out of home and fending for myself in a new country has been the best decision I've ever made. Going to university and studying what I truly love has been the best opportunity that I've been given and I'm certainly not taking it lightly. Seeing the foreign landscape reminds me how different my life is now to when I was living in Wellington, and I like it. I'm excited by it. Listening to music by School of Seven Bells just seems to intensify that feeling. Is this getting really lame? Well I guess what I'm trying to say is that I love it here.

I saw them play at the Corner Hotel on Saturday and as well as being completely transfixed by the guitarist's flicking fringe as he moved, I loved that their harmonies and layers of sound occupied the whole room. Volume had nothing to do with it. It wasn't a fantastic performance (they came on for an encore that no one asked for, it was a bit awkward), but I really enjoyed seeing live the music that can stir these emotions in me. This video for Half Asleep is sort of what I am talking about... I know this is getting ridiculously boring with all the platitudes, but I don't know how to explain it without a little help from a cliche.


No comments: