Thursday, June 25, 2009

This Winter in Melbourne

24189z9

The hardest part about winter is having to get out of bed. Snuggling up in bed is one of my favourite activities and thankfully, being on holiday means I get to sleep in as much as I want. But I have learnt from previous experience that this will inevitably lead to the depressing feeling that I am wasting my life away. Don't let yourself get caught in this trap! Go out, experience culture. Here are some things to do in Melbourne this winter that are better for your health than sleeping all day (though if you do get Swine Flu from one of these places, don't blame me).

The Bang Gang Monthly
There is only a small handful of DJs who could convince me to dance at a trashy club and let my dignity fall by the wayside. The Bang Gang are one of them. Ajax, Doom and Hoodrat are back at Sorry Grandma, where we can can all dance away our winter chills.
Friday 26 June
Sorry Grandma, Corner of Uniacke court and Little Bourke st

The Birmingham Hotel's First Birthday
After getting a revamp a year ago, The Birmy (as it's known to locals) has become a pretty cool place. Come celebrate the first anniversary of it being 'pretty cool' with FREE ENTRY and 12 pretty cool bands... well, maybe 11, since the Frowning Clouds are nowhere near being pretty cool, but still, 12 bands for the price of FREE is a great bargain. 
Saturday 27 June
333 Smith st, Fitzroy (corner of Johnston st)
More details here

Hello Sailor Vintage Fair
Just what the title says really, though the title doesn't mention the sausage sizzle and DJs that will also be there. Thumbs up.
1-6pm 27 - 28 June
Carlton Hotel and Studios, 193 Bourke st

mcginleykatemoss8

The Clothing Exchange
Need some new clothes, but you can't afford to go shopping? Then the Clothing Exchange is for you. Take along 6 garments or accessories, swap 'em for buttons which is the only valid currency at TCE, and fight your way (no doubt it will be popular) to a refreshed wardrobe.
6.30pm 29 June
Atrium, Federation Square, Corner of Flinders and Swanston sts
More details here

Ice Skating at QV
"Ice skating and winter go hand-in-hand and the best place to enjoy winter this year is QV, where you can ice skate hand-in-hand with your special someone or bring the kids and let them experience the best of winter, on QV’s synthetic rink located in QV Square." Cute! I've always wanted to try ice skating, but I know I will end up gracelessly sprawled on the ice. Still, it'll be fun to wear mittens and frolic amongst the synthetic snow and pine trees. If only winter was as beautiful as it looks in New York movies.
June 27 - July 25
More details here

The aforementioned Bastille Day Ball
July 12

This is Not a Design Market
This is Not a Design Market aims to support local designers where everything from clothing, music, lighting, furniture, homewares and graphic design will be on offer. Apparently there will also be a bar! If all goes well with the first Design Market, there will be others all across Australia. 
Sunday 19 July
The Factory, 500 Latrobe st, Melbourne
More details here

Melbourne International Film Festival
Oh boy I love film festivals. I don't often get to the movies (due to time/financial restraints), but I will make the effort for a film festival film, which I know are less likely to come out on DVD and more likely to be awesome. Winter is the best time for going to the movies. The festival programme comes out July 10.
July 24 - August 9
More details here

Friendly Fires
These kids told So So Modern to change the name of their EP (which was called Friendly Fires and came about not too long before Friendly Fires started to get noticed in the UK), OR ELSE. I held a grudge against them for a little while, but then I heard their album which is so ridiculously fun that I now pretend that I always loved them, like a true pretentious music jerk. I can't wait to dance at this gig!
July 29
Prince Bandroom, 29 Fitzroy st, St Kilda
It's sold out, so unless you already have a ticket, you ain't going. Sorry.

If you know of any other events that you think should be here, contact me via email and I can add it to the list. I will keep updating this post so make sure you keep checking back. Also keep an eye on Three Thousand for a weekly rundown on all the interesting events happening around Melbourne.

MIR109305703.jpeg

No comments: